info

Towards the last two months of my last visit to India in the spring of 2012, I encountered the Tibetan community in exile in India experiencing painful news of their people self-immolating in fire one after another in China-occupied Tibet. My experiences in the past visits in India (drawing a cremation site in Varanasi, documenting fire pits, cremation alters, and contemplating on life and death around fire) synchronized with this particular movement, an extreme way of ‘offering’ their bodies to ‘fire’ for asking freedom and peace.I could not help drawing large and small drawings as emotional response and with a sense of mourning.

After coming back to Vancouver, the self-immolation kept happening and I felt that my personal and professional task is not finished.

I have come back to India to continue to document and draw under the same theme. tomoyoihaya@hotmail.com

21 January 2021

New Video "To Live"



still images from "To Live"       copy right :Tomoyo Ihaya 2021

Video "To Live" is complete with sound and you can view on my Vimeo site.

https://vimeo.com/501938053 ( for " To Live")

https://vimeo.com/user122166328 ( Tomoyo Ihaya, all videos)


The inspiration came when I visited, had exhibitions and workshops in Taiwan and Korea between 2017 and 2019. Especially my visit in Korea and Taiwan in 2019 was a trigger to start learning in depth about women in trans-generational conflicts.

I met many women who taught me both countries' histories of pain and struggles. To touch the issue of what is called 'Comfort Women' ( I am not a fan of this wording) is very sensitive and difficult because of complex social and political conflicts up to present.
However, just as I felt and shared thoughts and heart felt tears with my fellow female friends, I rather wanted to focus on feeling 'grand mothers' by reading real stories by them who spoke up their pain with courage in Taiwan and Korea ( at large other Asian countries). They spoke up in wishing this would never happen again to other women (Late Harumoni Bog-don Kim said that clearly).
And knowing violences and exploitation to women continue in so many levels in every part of the world, I wanted to make something to bring healing and empathy.
I felt so much sadness while reading episodes....and often wondered how I could express this even though I had never gone through as they did.

And I still wonder how we bring collective healing and least sufferings to all fellow sentient beings.

Much gratitude to Kunsang, Yi-Chan for doing such a moving work.

Kunsang did two other videos' editing and compositing and always made my still drawings into something different and moving.

I was introduced to Yi-Chan through Prof Wendy Lai. She understood the sensitivity and feelings of the video and contemplated well to make beautiful, somber and moving sound.

____
To Live
Drawing and scripts: Tomoyo Ihaya
Compositing and editing: Kunsang Kyirong
Sound: Yi-Chan Li
Voices at the last scenes:
Grandma A Tao Huang from "Grandma's Secret"
Harumoni Bog-don Kim from the interview clip by Asia Boss
Special thanks to:
Prof. Wen-Shu Lai for giving me stories and video links of interview
Newton Siao for translating all Taiwanese Ama ( Grandmothers') stories into English, although it was emotionally difficult for him.
Taipei Women's Rescue Foundation
for giving a permission to use a voice from their video
and for supporting this video

Artist would like to acknowledge a support of the Canada Council for the Arts